Skip to main content

HTTPS and drop in Google Web Master Tools Impressions

Switched site to HTTPS and impressions and visits plummeted

In an attempt to resolve the (No Provided) issue in Google Analytics I have switched our site Kingston Search Engine Optimization [yes I am doing SEO backlinking there :)] to HTTPS and experienced a massive drop in impressions and visits.

Google Analytics reported no change in actual visits so the issue was left alone to hopefully sort itself out; but it didn't. By the way switching to HTTPS will not resolve the missing keywords in GA, if you analyze the browser requests you will notice Google just plainly strips them from the referral header information.

Solution to HTTPS impression drop

This was a mystery for a while until today when I found a solution which is very simple. By default Google Web Master Tools creates and tracks sites under HTTP protocol, and treats HTTPS as different sites entirely, just like it treats www.webdesign.danols.com and webdesign.danols.com as separate sites. Creating a new entry through 'Add a Site' and including the protocol resolves the issue, ex. 'https://webdesign.danols.com'; and luckily Google Web Master Tools will keeps all the history data from before the HTTPS switch.

If this post helps I ask that you do +1 or share it, or even better follow me on twitter @danielsokolows

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storing passwords in PuTTY

How to save SSH username/password for auto login in PuTTy The answer is you can't do it...at least in plain PuTTy. However there is an awesome fork with that let's you store the username and password and other additional features called KiTTy.



So grab yourself a copy and +1 this if you do, thanks.

Duplicate value found: duplicates value on record with id: <unknown>.

System.DmlException: Insert failed. First exception on row 0; first error: DUPLICATE_VALUE, duplicate value found: <unknown> duplicates value on record with id: <unknown>.The above error is triggered in the database layer and caused by a trigger or workflow outside of your main code of block that is bubbling this exception. This is rather difficult to track down especially if you are unfamiliar with the code, I am sharing my procedure in the hopes this saves you time - if you find this helpful drop me a line or follow me on twitter @danielsokolows. This error is caused by unique field constraint on the object, so the first step is to examine the object and locate the API names of all unique fieds. You can do this through SF direclty 'Setup < Customize &lt <object being inserted> &lt Fields' or by downloading the `src/objects` metadata information and searching for <unique>; I preffer the latter and actually download ALL matadata information f…

Softeher 'Error occurred. (Error code: 2)' sollution

Protocol error occurred. Error was returned from the destination server.The Softether server by default to run on port 443, if you server also hosts normal https then 443 is already taken and so Softether can't bind to it. When you run `vpncmd` it attempts to connect, find an active port, but of course fails with 'Protocol error occurred. Error was returned from the destination server.' because it's not actually connecting to the vpn server. By default Softether also listens on 992, 1194, and 5555 so the sollution is to modify specify `localhost:5555` when executing the `vpncmnd`. If this has helped you feel free to comment or follow me on twitter @danielsokolows.